Scottie Bevley moved to Lynchburg during her senior year of high school and graduated from Dunbar High School in 1944. She then went to Piedmont School of Nursing in Burkeville and St. Philip School of Nursing, Medical College of Virginia. In 1953 she was hired as the first black registered nurse at Lynchburg General Hospital on Hollins Mill Road, working on what was then called “First Colored Floor.” After the hospital moved to Tate Springs Road in 1956, she became a night charge nurse.
Loaned by Scottie Bevley
Retirement Gifts and Pins Scottie Bevley
From 1969 until her retirement in 1986, Scottie Brown Bevley was clinical instructor for the School of Practical Nursing at Lynchburg General Hospital. The pewter tray and cups were gifts at her retirement.