Lessie Carter received her early education at the Polk Street School and graduated from Lynchburg Colored High School in 1921. She also attended school at Rivermont Baptist Church, located at the back of the present church property on Fauquier Street. This location was used as a school until nearby Armstrong Elementary was completed in 1916.
Lessie Carter earned a B.S. in education from Virginia Normal and Collegiate Institute, now Virginia State University. She began teaching in 1926 at Massie’s Mill Elementary School in Nelson County. After that she joined the faculty at Robert S. Payne School in Lynchburg, where she taught third grade. At the request of Armstrong parents, she was later transferred to Armstrong School. She taught there until she retired in 1968.