By 1870 Campbell County had several freedmen’s schools. William H. Stewart taught freedmen at Long Mountain Church. Thomas Y. Scott taught at Yellow Branch, Booker Purvis at Mount Zion. Ellen Wills, who had been a student in the Camp Davis Normal Class in Lynchburg and who had previously taught in Bedford County, served the freedmen’s school at New London.
The first school for blacks in the Pleasant Valley community was a log cabin built by Albert Megginson (1831-1923). Two of his daughters were the first teachers. Emaline Megginson Hamler and Daisy Megginson Elliott were graduates of the Morgan College Annex in Lynchburg. When funds provided by philanthropist Julius Rosenwald became available for a new school in Pleasant Valley, Albert Megginson led the campaign for matching funds. The new school, its style typical of Rosenwald schools, was built in 1923 and named for Megginson.
Alla A. Duiguid Booth (1882-1959) taught for many years in Campbell County, serving the schools at Pedlar Mountain, Long Mountain, Pilot Mountain, Red House, and Chapel Grove. She also taught at Rustburg Elementary.