An internist for 38 years, Dr. R. Walter Johnson attended Lincoln University in Pennsylvania and Meharry Medical College in Nashville. He belonged to the Hill City and Old Dominion Medical Societies and the National Medical Association, an organization founded at the end of the nineteenth century to serve black doctors.
Loaned by the Lynchburg Museum System
Receipt Book of Dr. R. Walter Johnson
Dr. R. Walter Johnson began practicing in Lynchburg in the mid-1930s in an office on Fifth Street. A building at 1003 Fifth Street still bears the name Johnson, as does the new Johnson Health Center on Federal Street, operated by Centra Health. A display in the lobby there includes artifacts and memorabilia about this physician who also became well known as a tennis coach for young black players.