This photograph is believed to be of Camp Davis. The Camp Davis School was established in Lynchburg by the Bureau of Refugees, Freedmen, and Abandoned Lands, a division of the United States War Department. The one-story frame building was part of an abandoned Confederate military training camp located near Twelfth and Kemper Streets. By May 1866, enrollment at the Camp Davis School had reached 322. Four teachers, including Jacob Yoder and a superintendent, taught at the school. In 1866 the school moved to the African Methodist Episcopal Church on Jackson Street, a more convenient location for the students. Fannie Harvey, a white woman, taught at this school.
Courtesy of Jones Memorial Library and the Lynchburg Public library